From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_McN

Better HTTP Authentication Support - Starting with NTLM

As we increasingly integrate with HTTP servers the LabVIEW functions appear more and more limited.

Authentication is a major concern and in enterprise environments one option is NTLM (or Windows Authentication).

I would like to see the HTTP client support this as in this case we had to abandon using LabVIEW for the integration.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
3 Comments
Haris_Okanovic
NI Employee (retired)

Is digest auth an option for you? IIS 6 (and presumably higher) supports digest auth to authenticate Windows users on active directory [1].

I believe LabVIEW's http client already implements NTLM on Windows (I.e. windows-client--to--windows-server) but I don't believe it works on Phar Lap, VxWorks, or Linux RT. Digest auth on the other hand is implemented (and tested) on all OS'.

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/be052923-6022-4007-833f-...

James_McN
Active Participant

Hi Haris,

Not in this case, the requirement for the system was to use Windows Authentication - LabVIEW was just looking to integrate with it.

I did give it a go on Windows but it did not seem to work. I could not find any documentation on what methods are supported - the help just points to the web service authentication pages so the assumption is that the open handle username and password is only for NI-Auth. If this is not the case this documentation should be updated.

Cheers,
James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
aartjan
Active Participant

I switched over from the NI HTTP toolkit to the secure TCP/IP funtions in the encryption compendium from LVS-tools. It's got basic and NTLM proxy authentication. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model