LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanyAllard

Be able to Find All Instance of VI and view VI Properties when the VI is in run mode

It's append all the time that I right click on a VI when the VI is running and I need to find all instances but the option is not there. That could be very useful to debug the code. 

AddFindAllInstances.png

An other option that could be very usful is the posibility of opening the VI Properties when the VI is in run mode. 

AddFindAllInstancesViProperties.png

LabVIEW ChampionArchitect
8 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Same for Globals. You cannot right-click and use "Find Global Refs" or "Find Global Definition" if the VI is executing or reserved for execution.
DanyAllard
Active Participant
Good point Jack
Technico

I posted practically the same thing a while back:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/sub-VI-Icon-make-quot-Find-All-Instances-quot-also-ava...

My case was particular for the case where a file is read-only on disk, but someone commented that this is similar when the VI is running.

Maybe these ideas (and kudos) can be merged...

DanyAllard
Active Participant
Yes for a merge
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

The "find all instances" only finds instances in VIs loaded in memory, that's not very convinient... when the VI for which we want to find all instance is part of a project, we should see all instances in the project wether or not the callers are in memory.

my 2 cents

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> The "find all instances" only finds instances in VIs loaded in memory, that's not very convinient... when the

> VI for which we want to find all instance is part of a project, we should see all instances in the project

> wether or not the callers are in memory.

Right click in the project tree and choose "Find Callers". That will search for uses among all VIs in the project, even those not in memory.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
AQ, yes, but there are just a few problems with Find Callers: Allow the Find All Callers Window to be Resized, and read my first comment point #2 on Open All Callers from Project.
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

> Right click in the project tree and choose "Find Callers". That will search for uses among all VIs in the project, even those not in memory.

Yes.

The point is that and when you have a project with 5000+ VIs (many of which are called dynamically), if the VI for which you want to find all callers IN THE PROJECT is opened, you need to use the "locate in project" before.

So a "find all callers in the project" option from the VI would just make life easier 😉

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons