LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dthor

BD Cleanup - Option to only clean up wires (and leave terminals, nodes, structures, etc. in place)

I know there have been a lot of Ideas regarding the Block Diagram Cleanup tool, but I haven't seen this one suggested.

There should be an option to force Block Diagram Cleanup (CTRL-U) to only act on wires. Essentially it would be the same as selecting all wires, right-clicking and selecting Clean Up Wire.

Similar Ideas, but not the same:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Clean-Up-Wire-function-for-several-wires/idi-p/1213463

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Block-Diagram-Cleanup-Confirmation-Dialog-with-Options...

I'm almost certain that there is a scripting method available to accomplish this.

3 Comments
manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello dthor,

here is an other idea in the same way ...

Selective CTRL B

Manu.net

Manu.net
dthor
Active Participant

Oh holy crap! I just now noticed that I've been giving you guys conflicting information. In my previous post, I said "CTRL-B" when I really meant "CTRL-U". CTRL-B is Remove Broken Wires and I love that feature Smiley Very Happy

I saw that one as well, but I don't believe it covers what I'm saying here. I do use it for other cases, though.

Most of the time when I'm prototyping new code, I throw BD terminals all over the place, connecting wires back and forth, up and down, and all around. Then once it (or part of it) is working, I move the terminals/nodes to where I think they fit best. After that, I clean up the wires mostly by right clicking on them individually and selecting "Clean Up Wire".

I'd love to be able to use CRTL-U to run that last part. However, without individually shift-selecting every single wire, I can't really do that. If I use diagram cleanup, it moves everything around, thus essentially undoing all my previous cleanup work. There should be a checkbox in the BD Cleanup Options box that says "Only act on wires" or there should be another keyboard shortcut that runs the diagram cleanup only on wires. Perhaps CRTL-SHIFT-U, I don't know (nor do I really care, as it can be mapped by the user).

In fact, if we want to take this Idea further, there should be a checkbox for every item that BD Cleanup can act on. Then the user can selectively choose which items get cleaned up and which do not. For example, I absolutely HATE that CTRL-U moves control terminal label to left align and indicator terminal labels to right align. Smiley Tongue

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I like this idea, and would further suggest that a limited cleanup would also shift nodes slightly (a couple of pixels) if doing so eliminates a bend in a wire.  Thus, it would automatically clean up the fine alignment of nodes while retaining the course positioning set by the programmer.

-- James