LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerh

Avoid hidden wires when a tunnel is dragged to another border

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

If You drag a tunnel of a loop, case structure or any other structure along the border over a corner, then

the connected wire becomes hidden behind the frame.

Sometimes, the wire looks alike it is connected to another wire instead - like in the example below.

I fell into that trap, because I've just seen the frame to the right and didn't expect, that the wire was

connected to the tunnel near the bottom.

wire_behind_frame.png

Wouldn't it be great to break up the wire with a 90° corner and place it in the visible area?

wire_not_behind_frame.png

More similar situations like this are posted in this thread:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/wire-vanishes-behind-frame-of-case-structure/td-p/3221167

13 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd say that's probably one of the rare cases where I'd use the "Cleanup Diagram" tool after selecting the offending wire. And get the expected result.

You are asking for this cleanup to be done automatically after moving any object (even if you don't think you are). I would HATE LabVIEW to do that to me. I like hiding stuff (which is what the situation you are showing is about, stated more generally). In fact, I'd love to be able to disable the auto cleanup step on all macros (delete, insert, create VI, etc).

gerh

X. wrote:

You are asking for this cleanup to be done automatically after moving any object

I share your opinion, please don't do auto-cleanup.

I thought about breaking up the line while dragging the wire, such that it never vanishes behind the border. So, after dropping the tunnel no cleanup step should be triggered.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I read the thread you link and I did not find the simple solution to your problem, which I offered in my comment.

Here it is again in graphical form.

Right-click on the offending wire and choose Clean Up Wire:

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.49.11.png

The result fixes your problem:

Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.49.35.png

As Altenbach said in that other thread, whenever you move a tunnel from one border to another, you've got to watch where the wire goes right after and fix the problem as it happens. The nice thing is that you have only one wire messed up. That is, if you only move one tunnel at a time...

gerh

Please, go through Altenbach's examples and try to select the wire, but don't select the whole frame, usually it's not empty and will be totally messed up with the cleanup function...

... or try to get the context menu with the "cleanup wire" option on an entirely hidden wire. Smiley Wink

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Why would we use diagram cleanup instead of just cleaning the one wire????

crossrulz
Knight of NI

For the sake of being overkill.Smiley Tongue

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

by Member gerh on ‎12-08-2015 10:21 AM

Please, go through Altenbach's examples and try to select the wire, but don't select the whole frame, usually it's not empty and will be totally messed up with the cleanup function...

... or try to get the context menu with the "cleanup wire" option on an entirely hidden wire. Smiley Wink

In LabVIEW 2011 Mac, step 5 works for me:
Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.02.05.png
gives this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.03.33.png

Of course I went through all the steps before (meaning there is a hidden internal wire in the first picture).

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Works just fine in LV 2015f2 64 bits on Windows 7 Pro as well.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Basically, wires should be included in the Auto grow-option so they don't get hidden this way.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Not everyone uses autogrow (I don't), so that is not a solution. But again, there isn't any problem in the first place.