From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTSLVU

Automatically include the VISA test panel in installers that include the VISA runtime

The VISA test panel is a very valuable tool for troubleshooting instrument connectivity issues.

This used to be included with the VISA runtime, or at least with any installer that also included the VISA runtime.

Now I have to separately download and install the FULL VISA just to get this valuable tool. 

That makes installing a LabVIEW executable a multistep process as now I have to run two different installers. 

NI-MAX and the VISA test panel should ALWAYS BE included in any installer that includes the VISA runtime.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
6 Comments
kosist90
Active Participant

I give a kudo to it, but on the other hand personally me found, that it is more handy to use such tools are RealTerm or HTerm to test serial communication, rather than VISA test panel. Those tools have much more options, and more user-friendly, than test panel...

RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

Sure there are better tools out there, but up until recently I could always rely on the VISA test panel being there.

========================
========================
Alexander_Sobolev
Active Participant

I do not think it should be in the run-time, but "VISA configuration support" definitely needs it. 

RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

I disagree it is very important to have with the run-time because working for a large company with serious IT policies I can not just install a program and run it on a computer that is part of the production line. 

So having troubleshooting tools installed with the "drivers" so they are already there when an issue arises that I  need to troubleshoot, makes it a lot easier than also having to get a person from IT who knows all the secrete corporate passwords to install an application to accompany me.

========================
========================
RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

This has just bitten me in the ass again...

Thanks NI for removing this very useful and important tool

========================
========================
cristianfo

Reviving the topic, I also think that this functionality should be built into the visa runtime, I had great difficulties until I installed it barelly through NI Batch.