From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hfettig

Automatic Alignment Helpers for Front Panel Controls

This goes a bit with Christian's suggestion to separate edit time and run time front panel sizes.

While I do appreciate the alignment grid on the front panel I find it insufficient a lot of the times. What I would like to see is some alignment helpers similar to the ones that are provided in the form editor of MS Visual Studio:

• When you move a control close to another control, it automatically displays a standard distance "helper" that you can snap to.
  • When you move the edge of one control close to the edge (in one dimension) of another control a vertical or horizontal line is drawn from that other control to which you can snap, regardless of whether it happens to sit on a grid line or not. 
  • When you move a control close to the edge of the front panel a standard distance "helper" is displayed that you can snap to.

All of these features should be available for a move as well as for a resize of the controls.

You can find screen shots of what I am talking about here and here.

2 Comments
James_McN
Active Participant

Surprused this hasn't seen more activity. A few tools like this could make front panel development a little more intuitive and 21st century. 

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Intaris
Proven Zealot

This would be cool if we could define specific "snap-to" lines for UI placement instead of relying on a global grid.