From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A.Sasaki

Auto-detect and install required add-on software automatically

Functionality available with Load Warning feature that identifies missing drivers and add-ons when loading a project.

When you open a VI which includes add-on libraries and/or toolkits, LabVIEW will detect them and suggest installing for users!

This will be helpful if the user does not know much about NI software.

Install Suggestion.png

10 Comments
TomOrr0W

This idea seems to be mostly implemented now with the Load and Save Warning List, as there are warnings for "Driver or toolkit component missing", "Missing LabVIEW Tools Network Add-on", and "Missing NI Module, Toolkit, or Driver".

The only caveats are that it doesn't suggest installing them and that you have to get through the loading dialogs first.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Does it mention which toolkit to install? That seems significant...

TomOrr0W

It does indeed mention which toolkit to install, as well as which vis are using it.  See an example below from LabVIEW 2017.

Load and Save Warning List Example.png

crossrulz
Knight of NI

More likely will be handling it at the project level (install project dependencies).  I do not like the idea of an "auto install".  There should be a deliberate action to spawn the install.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
TomOrr0W

I don't see any mention of an "auto install" in the idea text or in the comments.  I agree that the user should deliberately download and install what is missing.

I am trying to suggest that the idea should be marked complete, as the dialog in newer versions of LabVIEW (I am not sure what version the dialog was added in) covers almost everything requested.

The dialog I mention comes up both when loading a project or when loading a vi.  If it doesn't look familiar, press Show Details in the load warning summary.

Load Warning Summary.png

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

>It does indeed mention which toolkit to install, as well as which vis are using it.  See an example below from LabVIEW 2017.

I wonder if there's any documentation on how to get that working for custom toolkits? E.g. How can I set this "toolkit" text for my own code?

TomOrr0W

It does work for some 3rd-party custom toolkits in the LabVIEW Tools Network, so a method must be available:

Tools Network Example.png 

Unfortunately, it doesn't always specify which specific package is missing, but it points you in the right general direction.

Sumedha
NI Employee (retired)

Hi - I wanted to provide an update on this with respect to LabVIEW NXG. One improvement we are making in this area with LabVIEW NXG is that we are adding a new document in the project which allows you to automatically inspect your code and capture your project’s software dependencies, both toolkits and drivers. When someone who doesn’t have these NI packages installed on their system opens this document, they will be informed about this and they can click a button to install all the missing packages. 

Sumedha Ganjoo | LabVIEW R&D
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Functionality available with Load Warning feature that identifies missing drivers and add-ons when loading a project.

TomOrr0W

I decided to forward questions on how to get entries into the list on the Tools Network forum:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Developer-Center-Discussions/Load-and-Save-Warning-List-Questions/m-p/38517...