LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
ToeCutter

Arrays with per element properties

Quite often I wish to display or hide one control based on the value of another on my GUI, or switch some other property of a control. Also often I use arrays of clusters to handily provide multiple identical control sets- e.g. where I need an identical set of controls for each of a number of I/O channels. This is a very neat way of reproducing the control sets and it's easy to deal with the resulting array on the block diagram. The problem comes when I want to select different properties on the controls on each channel- at the moment I have to either split the cluster array into separate clusters for display (a lot of work, and more messy code) or work around it in another less than satisfactory manor (e.g. hidden tabs to control visibility).

So the suggestion is- allow arrays to have 'pre element' properties, so I can have the advantages of an array of controls with the flexibility to set the properties of each element individually.

I realise there are memory and performance implications here, so there would need to be a special kind of array or an array setting to designate an array as such.

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Duplicate: Access a sepcific Array Element

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
ToeCutter
Active Participant

Thanks crossrulz- agree this is a duplicate.

That idea has been rejected on performance grounds, however in my original post I specifically aknowledged that this should be a special case with potentially a completely separate type of array control and with that caveat I think this idea still makes a lot of sense.

Darren
Proven Zealot