From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacemdom

Apply library or class icon to one item or option on item to avoid further automatic icon updates

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.

The ability to right-click an item in the project window and select "apply library icon" to just that particular item. This feature would be helpful to people who manually modify the icons of items in the library. One would do this to have smaller footprint icons per example. If this person goes to the library or class properties and selects "Apply Icon To VIs" then all manual modifications get overridden.

This functionality can also be attained by adding an option to avoid further automatic icon updates on individual items.

6 Comments
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Good idea! The top part, or "header" I guess, of a created Class icon is too big. I always edit it to a template that is more suitable for one line of Small Font 10 text. Each new icon - another edit.

Richard

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

>> If this person goes to the library or class properties and selects "Apply Icon To VIs" then all manual modifications get overridden

I have not experienced this behavior. When you make your edits, are you leaving the Library Icon layer unchanged (i.e., making customized class member icons on a layer separated from the Library layer)?

By leaving the library layer unchanged and making Icon edits on a separate layer, when you click "Apply Library Icon to All Members", only the library layer is updated, all user layers remaining untouched.

jacemdom
Active Participant

Thanks Jack, your comment helped me figure out what i was doing that created this behavior. I was deleting the library layer instead of just making it invisible, so the editor was recreating the library icon in a visible state.

This idea can be deleted from my point of view.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> The top part, or "header" I guess, of a created Class icon is too big. I always edit it to a template that is more suitable for one line of Small Font 10 text. Each new icon - another edit.

In that case, you will probably like this idea:

Create smaller banner for libraries

Kudo'd that awhile back, tst.

Richard

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 9 kudos within 9 years after posting will be automatically declined.