From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
550nm

Allow vertical Case and Event selector lists.

Once in a while I encounter a case or event list that forces me to grow the structure

- in order to keep the list readable:

Selector.png

It would be nice if the item-list would automatically "wrap" instead.  

Selector4.png

4 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

In my mind the real idea here (kudos given) is to have the ability to manually expand the item-list box vertically, and *then* get the items to wrap.

I would not want the item list to always and automatically expand like this (although that could be an option one could turn on/off globally and/or on the individual case).

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I was about to say that Next Gen Preview has something that would address this (at the expense of a lot of annoyance, in my opinion): a list of all cases on a side panel (see below).

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.09.41.png

But in fact it shows the same problem:

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.15.58.png

The panel cannot be resized (only partly collapsed) and therefore you can't see the full list of cases in the last line...

Sigh.

xl600
Active Participant

I wish it could kudo this multiple times!  I use enumerated extensively for state machines and other controls, but the horizontal only list forces me to have to duplicate cases just to see the list in man cases.

Petru_Tarabuta

+1 Kudos.

Like xl600, I too sometimes create duplicate cases in my case structure to have full visibility of what enum value selects each case (at the cost of duplicate code / two points of change instead of one).

The best implementation seems to be Mads's idea "to have the ability to manually expand the item-list box vertically, and *then* get the items to wrap.", not to have the item list box expand automatically as it may take too much space for cases with dozens of selector values.