LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray.R

Allow user-defined default icon

I started a discussion here

Although the suggestion about using a template is quite nice, I would still like to be able to create a new VI (or sub-VI) from within a project.  I never use the default icon provided by NI.  -- N-E-V-E-R --   That's a personal choice. 

So since I never use that icon, the fact that creating a new VI which auto-generates an icon that is never used, renders that feature useless.  Let's see how many users of LabVIEW also find the default icon useless....  (Kudos would be a way to take a poll).

A nice feature would be to allow the developer to create her / her own default icon.  The default icon is probably somewhere in the ini file (I have not checked).  One of the Options could be to select if the user wants to use their own default, and if so, browse to the icon or have an editor create one.

In my case, when creating a new VI, it ends up with a icon like this:

I would be happy to have a default icon that looks like this:

The idea I am proposing is that developers should be able to have the icon of their choice as a default icon.

And may plenty of kudos adorn this thread..  🙂

Spoiler

20 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I didn't say it was the same. I said that one encompasses this one. 🙂 It provides a way to set default conpane, default icon, default execution settings, default front panel color, default watermarking, etc.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

I also like that idea and it got kudos.

As I mentionned earlier, the user should be able to configure the defaults for his / her development environment; not limited to the default icon.  🙂

RavensFan
Knight of NI

It would be nice if the current LabVIEW default icon was separated into layers with a box template, a white background, and the glyphs.

Or at least the box template, and the central image as 2 different layers.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Wish I could give you a kudos..  Yes..  That would have been nice..  But I can settle for a user defined default..  😉

RavensFan
Knight of NI

I'm in favor of your user defined default also.

I'm taking your post has encouragement to post a related, but different idea. Smiley Wink  Something that can coexist with yours.

Default Icon on New VI Should Have Separate Layers

Manzolli
Active Participant

When I start editing a new VI icon, I usually draw a Filled Rectangle with black border and white interior, an easy way to create an empty icon. By the way, in the LV 2013 the Tip Strip on the icon editor palette is improperly “Tools” instead of “Filled Rectangle”.

How about this idea: LabVIEW creates the default icon, as it does nowadays. At first time you open the icon editor for a new VI, it replaces the default LabVIEW icon for a one you design. As an option, when you want, the current behavior can be activated.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
GregSands
Active Participant

@Manzolli wrote:
When I start editing a new VI icon, I usually draw a Filled Rectangle with black border and white interior, an easy way to create an empty icon.

Did you know you can double-click the Filled Rectangle tool to do this?  Plus if you select the default layer first, then it gets overwritten, instead of creating a new layer.

Manzolli
Active Participant

No, I didn't. The sencond (layer), yes. Great, thanks!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
JÞB
Knight of NI

Sorry I'm late to the game

So, Edit it!

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW xxxx\ProjectTemplates\Source\Core\Blank VI\images\blankvi

At your own risk of courseSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
JÞB
Knight of NI

OK, they hid the png somewhere else........Hmmmmmm

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay