From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_L

Allow sub-palettes to automatically populate with mnus placed in LabVIEW menus folder

Currently in LabVIEW you can have a top-level palette (Programming, Measurement I/O, etc) automatically populate based on .mnu files existing in the folder structure at <LabVIEW>\menus\Categories\.  However you cannot do this with the sub-palettes such as Arrays, File I/O etc.

I propose to allow auto-populating palettes for all LabVIEW palettes so developers can place their own palette within the appropriate LabVIEW palette for their functions.  One example is OpenG and MGI each have a palette of Array functions.  They are currently placed in a top-level OpenG\Array or MGI\Array location.  If we could sync these folders, we could place each of the array palettes under the Programming\Array palettes:

palettefolder.png

Simply by dropping their corresponding mnu files here:

palettefolder.png

Thoughts?  Discussion on LAVA that spawned this idea is here.

4 Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

I'd vote for this more than once if I could! This is a huge barrier to reuse in my opinion.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
asbo

As a developer who depends primarily on Quick Drop, I only wander into the palettes when I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. On more than one occasion, I've heard from another developer (or later found myself) that function xyz is in the OpenG palette, if only I'd remember to look there. Kudos!

drval

I'm all for this.

CRoebuck

As a developer trying to encourage reuse in his team, having this feature would lead to a more intuitive palette set and stop proliferation of top level palette categories. +1 for me ! !

Don't forget to give Kudo's for a good answer !

LabVIEW Champion
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect