LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
marshaul

Allow storing Application.ini within the exe

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

I get that the Application.ini file can contain configurations options which might wished to be changed after compile, and I get that the application shouldn't modify its own exe.

But sometimes the ini file is used for things which cannot simply be hard-coded (or at least, I've found no way). For example, I am using unicode (it isn't my fault I have to resort to "experimental" modes in order to gain basic, fundamental functionality which should have been implemented as standard decades ago, but I'm not going to apologize for living in 2019), and in order for an exe to properly render unicode strings in controls etc. it requires the UseUnicode=True flag in the ini. What this means is that, in order to even function correctly at all, the exe is burdened with the constant baggage of an ini file which end users will never interact with, never understand, and frankly have a less-than-zero need to be exposed to in the first place. 

I've wanted this functionality on other occasions, but I'd be happy if someone could explain why I'm wrong about the unicode thing. 

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.