LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Schor

Allow "Append to End" (or, alternatively, "Read") for HTML Reports in RGT

A recent request in the LabVIEW Forums was to append additional lines of text to the end of a (LabVIEW-generated, I assume) HTML Report.  "Easy," I thought, "just use the Template Input of New Report, move to the end, and Append away!".  So I tried it -- it over-wrote the earlier Report.  Oops!

Examination of the Toolkit showed there were no functions analogous to "Find Last Row" or "Read ..." from the Excel-specific sub-Palettes in the HTML or Report sub-palettes.  Indeed, when examining the New Report functions for HTML, it was clear that the Template input was simply ignored!

It seems to me (naively) that it should be fairly simple to add code to (a) allow a Template to be specified for HTML, and (b) allow a positioning function to position the "appended" input to the end of the existing HTML <body><\body> block.

A potentially more "useful" (but, I would think, also fairly simple) extension would be to allow a "Read Next HTML Element" function, which would return the next Line, Image, whatever, along with a Tag identifying it, allowing the user to copy from the Template file selected Elements and append new Elements where appropriate.  For this to work "nicely", you would need to also return a "No More HTML Elements" flag when you reached the end of the Template.  This would allow the User to copy as much as needed, adding in new data where appropriate, as well as "appending to the end".  As with Excel, there would be no issue with having the Template File be the same or different from the final Save Report file.

Bob Schor

2 Comments
Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Jeff-P
NI Employee (retired)
Any idea that has received less than 10 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.