LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WalterRebsch

Allow object/text search to find items in the whole project, including VIs not in memory

Add an additional search scope in the scope dialog.  New scope will be <entire project>.  Right now the widest search scope <All VI's in Application Instance> will not reach VI's that are called by reference, but still in the project.  I have a few co-workers which are "call by reference" happy and it's a pain to track them down manually.

2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

LV NXG already has the ability to search for items throughout a project (ctrl+shift+F), including VIs not currently in memory.

For LV 20xx, search is only for VIs in memory. Adding "New scope will be <entire project>" won't change that. If you want to search VIs that aren't in memory, you need to load them into memory (if they're in the project then you can load them). There have been separate ideas to change to search not-in-memory VIs. That is a much larger change, one with significant ramifications that I seriously doubt we tackle in LV 20xx.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'm going to ask a moderator to move your second request to a separate entry so it can be discussed separately.