LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow multiple instances of "Search Results" window

It would be great to be able to have multiple "Search Results" windows open at the same time. 

A few typical use cases:

• Some searches can take a LONG time, especially where dynamic dispatch is involved. It is always painful to have to close a big search just to do a small one.
  • Sometimes I need to search through instances of two or more distinct items for comparison purposes. 
  • Searching is a handy way to navigate. Leaving a search window open is like keeping a bookmark to a useful part of the code.

search.png

The only issue I see is that keyboard shortcuts (e.g. "Ctrl + G") would need to be restricted to only one of the windows. It seems reasonable that keyboard navigation could simply apply to the topmost search results window.

--
Chris Virgona
4 Comments
Active Participant

Another handy addition would be to return to a previous search. I don't know how many times I have searched for something like an open file to find someone built it into a wrapper. Now I have to search for all instances of that wrapper. But - I still have to search for all of the open file operations.

Multiple searches would allow this as well as a return to previous search.

Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Another option, borrowed from modern browsers, would be to have all the searches presented as tabs of a single window (leaving the user the choice to "detach" a particular tab and make it a sandalone window).

Proven Zealot

Yes, tabs would suit my needs better.

As mentioned in this exact duplicate post: Allow-multiple-search-result-windows-simultaneously.

Search Results.png

I think it's a very interesting idea. I just wanted to add that I find it interesting to be able to execute the searches in the background.
When a search is being executed, the window changes to modal mode, impeding work with the project until it finishes.