LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabric

Allow multiple instances of "Search Results" window

It would be great to be able to have multiple "Search Results" windows open at the same time. 

A few typical use cases:

• Some searches can take a LONG time, especially where dynamic dispatch is involved. It is always painful to have to close a big search just to do a small one.
  • Sometimes I need to search through instances of two or more distinct items for comparison purposes. 
  • Searching is a handy way to navigate. Leaving a search window open is like keeping a bookmark to a useful part of the code.

search.png

The only issue I see is that keyboard shortcuts (e.g. "Ctrl + G") would need to be restricted to only one of the windows. It seems reasonable that keyboard navigation could simply apply to the topmost search results window.

5 Comments
RobCole
Active Participant

Another handy addition would be to return to a previous search. I don't know how many times I have searched for something like an open file to find someone built it into a wrapper. Now I have to search for all instances of that wrapper. But - I still have to search for all of the open file operations.

Multiple searches would allow this as well as a return to previous search.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Another option, borrowed from modern browsers, would be to have all the searches presented as tabs of a single window (leaving the user the choice to "detach" a particular tab and make it a sandalone window).

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Yes, tabs would suit my needs better.

As mentioned in this exact duplicate post: Allow-multiple-search-result-windows-simultaneously.

Search Results.png

dgdgomez

I think it's a very interesting idea. I just wanted to add that I find it interesting to be able to execute the searches in the background.
When a search is being executed, the window changes to modal mode, impeding work with the project until it finishes.

AdarshaPakala

Very interesting suggestion. I really find it its useful when we are working on big size project and do a text based search. Compare to other text based languages LabVIEW takes a lot of time for text based search.

Another Idea,

How about adding search history backward and forward navigation with refresh(redo the search if needed) functionalities in search window like a web page ?

AdarshaPakala_1-1680509265233.png

Regards,

Adarsha Pakala

LabVIEW from 2006

CLA from 2014