LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr._Jim

Allow lvlibp and llb "File Dialog Box" to be resized horizontally

Hi all,

When LabVIEW prompts the user to locate a file and the file is inside an llb or lvlibp, long names of VIs are truncated in the title bar such that the user cannot easily verify which VI was prompted for. This ought to be fixed by allowing users to resize the window horizontally.

Here is an example wherein it is ambiguous which VI is being prompted for. Allowing horizontal resizing of the window would offer a straightforward fix that would help people with waning short term memory capabilities.

lvlibp_browse_name_truncation.png

The relevant LabVIEW help topic unambiguously refers to this window as "File Dialog Box".

I am not referring to the File Dialog function on the palette.

Thanks as usual!

Mr. Jim

7 Comments
JICR

What if your monitor is not large enough to show the filename? I would rather opt for a tip strip which may expand to multiple rows if necessary.

Mr._Jim
Active Participant

In this idea post I am referring to the dialog's title bar, which should ideally not truncate the name of the VI being prompted for. I personally do not think a tip strip is appropriate for the title bar.

KiwiWires

Had this issue this morning.

It probably took me longer in paint than it would to change the UI.

Resizing the dialog should be supported. A better layout would make this easier.

E.g. 

Dialog.png

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

@Mr._Jim wrote:

Hi all,

When LabVIEW prompts the user to locate a file and the file is inside an llb or lvlibp, long names of VIs are truncated in the title bar such that the user cannot easily verify which VI was prompted for. This ought to be fixed by allowing users to resize the window horizontally.

Did you try double-clicking the window title bar?! Though there is no restore button, it'd work in some cases; for example, the File Open dialog.

I mean, it'd expand (maximise), thereby scaling up the controls inside it.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
JICR

If your filename is too long to fit even with the window maximized you still have not solved your issue, a tip strip such as below would work with longest filenames.

I think it's not a good use case to maximize an entire window just to read the title. You will need to hijack the entire screen for a few pixel rows in the top.

Perhaps a basic redesign would work as KiwiWires described, if showing a tip strip in the windows titlebar is too tricky, they may just show the filename in a string indicator or a caption with a tip strip indeed 😉

Untitled.png

Mr._Jim
Active Participant

@JICR, I see your point and I don't disagree. Whatever is easiest for NI to implement - resizing or the tip strip. It's one of these little ankle-biting things that I run into all the time.

JICR

NI will just argue your filenames are too long, just keep 'em shorter 😉