LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Allow Typedefs to have a User-Defined Wire

Virtually ALL of my more complex typedefs have multiple datatypes wrapped in a cluster. The result? A pink wire. I have fat, pink wires all over my code.

Allow us to choose different patterns and colors for wires on a typedef. Increases the ability to spot a typedef, and allows for distinction between two complex datatypes.

(Note: I am not condoning making a new wire for every typedef... that would be a point of confusion when collaborating. I would just like to add distinction to some of my more distinct typedefs).

CustomWiresForTypedefs.png

5 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant

Like the concept, but should keep a basic identity, just like the Queue refnum wire.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Oligarlicky
Yeah, I'm tired of pink. Too much pink. If objects can each have their own wires why not typedefs. Also, I like the auto wire pattern generation of objects.
Tookys

this would be really useful for me right now, I'm working on vi that has 3 typedefs needing to exchange information at different times, but its annoying trying to keep track of which one is which when they all look the same.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

ALL of my more complex typedefs that have multiple datatypes are classes.

OO lesson 1 is to think of a class as a cluster... You'd probably like it.

Shiv0921

The answer to this is not 'code with LVOOP then'. I love OOP. But, some of us aren't allowed to code with OOP because we have to keep our code simple for the people inheriting it.