LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregSands

Allow Paths to be wired into Case Selectors

This idea simply extends "Allow References to be wired into Case Selectors" by JackDunaway.  In short, allow paths to be wired directly into a case selector, with one case for "Not a Path", one for "Empty Path", and a third for "Valid Path".  This would often save me small trees of nested cases.
5 Comments
GregSands
Active Participant
I had also considered cases for "File", "Directory", "Existing", ... but that looked too complex.
Marc Blumentritt

GregS wrote: 

I had also considered cases for "File", "Directory", "Existing", ... but that looked too complex. 

Well, I like this. Why too complex? I think this would be a small, but great improvement, which I would use fairly often.
CLD
altenbach
Knight of NI

It gets a bit complicated once we want to combine cases. For example, one case could combine:

"Directory, Not a Path, Empty Path, Not existing"

So we would need to be able to remember the correct text spelling of all the allowed options. Of course the case with the most selections would simply be the default, but it still could get complicated. Do we also need the negated version of each? "Not a directory","Not empty Path"?

How about "local path", "network Path", absolute path", "relative path", etc.?

I have to think about this.... 😉 

GregSands
Active Participant

The main reason I thought it too complex was the sheer number of possible options.  altenbach mentions a few, and you could also add Locked, Writable, Read-only, and so on.  I picked the three suggested because those seemed to be the most often used, and also they are mutually exclusive.

One way to handle these other options, including being able to combine multiple tests, would be to define the case using a dialog equivalent to the Event Structure's "Edit Events", where all the possible options were listed.  Alternatively, cases could autocomplete in the way they do for an Enum, though it requires remembering the first few letters of the option.  What about a pop-up menu that listed all options? This might work nicely for Enums in general.

Marc Blumentritt

I like the idea of a dialog (pop-up, part of right-click menu, something like event structure dialog, or something else), which shows possible (and supported) options for a case structure with path as input.

And yes, I like the idea to do this for enums (and errors, and what else?), too.

CLD