LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

Allow Dynamically Registered User Events to preserve Native Datatype in Event Structure

The current behavior of LabVIEW is as such:

UserEventsWithClusters.png

The pick list of event data strips the cluster, only allowing access to the elements inside the cluster. In order to manipulate the native datatype, you must reconstitute the cluster inside the event structure, a performance hit on large data structures firing at quick event rates. This is not to mention a messy FP.

I suggest that User Events preserve the clustered event datatype, allowing the programmer to access to the native datatype on the consumer end. The option to select only the element "Clustered Typedef.Array of I32s" of course still remains, but is not forced upon you. (Note that the below block diagram is NOT a direct LabVIEW screenshot... brought to you by trickery and a paint program. I clustered the cluster on event datatype [not shown] so that the event structure could eat the outer layer)

NewUserEventsWithClusters.png

My motivation with this suggestion is directly linked with my other post on the Big Typedef Issue.

13 Comments
Timmar
Active Participant

I Vote that it is a bug!

Free cuba/ east timor  my clus-ters!

Free my clus-ters!

Free my clus-ters!

iTm - Senior Systems Engineer
uses: LABVIEW 2012 SP1 x86 on Windows 7 x64. cFP, cRIO, PXI-RT
FTI_Newton

Nest the cluster in another cluster?

Rebundle the Bundle that you previously bundled because it got unbundled when you didn't ask for it to be ubundled?

SERIOUSLY?!?!? 

Fix this. Really guys. Just...fix it.

billko
Proven Zealot

Well, you have another option: send it as a variant and re-convert it at the other end.  All these are suggested detours around a "road feature" (a generous name for a "pot hole"), when we want the "road feature" to "change" (i.e., get filled).

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.