LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChandler

All windows should be resizable!

I was going to post an idea to make the Find Items With No Callers window resizable.

Doing a search for "resizable" returns a few ideas specific to a particular window such as the example finder. But any and all windows should be resizable. Is there any good reason that the user should not be able to resize them?

find items with no callers.PNG

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

9 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Is there any good reason that the user should not be able to resize them?

Yes, I'm sure there is. Mostly, though, the reason is just that it's substantially harder to write resizable dialogs, which is not a good reason.

Kudos.

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
Have you guys ever considered a total rewrite? Nevermind. You probably couldn't talk about it if you had. I considered posting an idea to replace the LabVIEW IDE with Eclipse. Once done making a window resizable is just a configuration setting. On a scale of one to ten, how doable would that be?
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I am wondering what Steve Chandler is hiding behind this white blotches... This Thermotron thing must be highly classified material. Do I gather that Steve Chandler wants "squeezable" windows rather than "Expandable" ones?

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast
I am indeed hiding some super secret code. There are some set temperature and read temperature vis that are dynamically dispatched because I also have Watlow controllers! Two types! But seriously there are some other things listed that have product names.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

here's a related idea : http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/quot-Open-all-callers-quot-option-from-project/idi-p/1...

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

JasonD_at_UML

OMG yes! The rigidly sized windows drive me crazy. Especially file paths in Warning windows.

pbpatel

Yes This is very good idea

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Did I mention "Rearrange Cases"?

"Shortcut Menu Editor", "Edit Events", also come to mind...

JKSH
Active Participant