LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_L

Align objects should not align increment/decrement buttons

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

When you align a control that has increment/decrement buttons to other objects on the front panel that do not have them, LabVIEW aligns the buttons with the edge of the other controls.  The align objects command should ignore the increment decrement buttons and align the border of the control with the borders of the other controls.

align.jpg

Workaround:  Hide Inc/Dec Buttons, align objects, Show Inc/Dec buttons.  However not as convenient.
16 Comments
JKSH
Active Participant

For the numeric controls, this issue could be made less prevalent by placing the arrows on the right, like all other spin boxes out there: http://www.google.com/search?q=spinbox&tbm=isch

While this doesn't cover all cases, it would make left-alignment much easier. Clusters of numeric+string controls would also look much better with "Arrange Vertically".

Certified LabVIEW Developer
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

JKSH: The problem I have with putting the inc/dec on the right is that you can no longer easily line up mathematical relationships between controls and and indicators. The numbers themselves are right aligned in the text boxes. Having the right edge clean means it is a lot simpler to line things up so that the decimal points are all in the same place.

For numerics and their math relationships, left alignment is a nice-to-have in my book but right alignment is critical. That's my personal take, not my position as a developer of LabVIEW -- I haven't broadly surveyed this issue among LV users. I have no perception of how common my viewpoint would be.

JKSH
Active Participant

AristosQueue: Very good point. Yes, I agree that the functional benefits of right-aligned numbers trumps the cosmetic benefits of aligned FP fields.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG 1.0. The inc/dec buttons are now on the right side of numeric controls instead of the left.

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: New

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D