LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
banksey255

Address problems/shortcomings setting file security permissions in Windows File I/O

Please address the problems/shortcomings when setting file security permissions in Windows File I/O. The current Get Permissions and Set Permissions File I/O vis do not work.

Currently when LabVIEW creates a file it assigns the default security permissions, which are inherited from the parent directory. This is a pain as the current user is allowed, in general, read and write access, but other users are potentially only granted read access. For example, creating files in the public application data directory (as the sample projects demonstrate for storing settings) means that only the user who first created the settings file can update its contents, whilst other users will get a file permission error.

At minimum, I would like to be able to specify what kind of access other users should have when creating a file. Better still, I would like to be able to get and set security info. Currently I am forced to call functions in advapi32.dll to set acceptable permissions (e.g. GetNamedSecurityInfoA).

I am not the first person to encounter this limitation (see, for example, https://devs.wiresmithtech.com/blog/config-files-in-labview-locations/).