From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_P

Add the installer to the Application Builder API

So I've recently discovered Darren's original post regarding the App Builder API (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Darren-s-Weekly-Nugget-02-15-2010/td-p/1072575) and used it to fully automate my build process.  I can't tell you how much time this saves me!  I work primarily on a good sized app that depends on an ever shifting array of plugins and 3rd party installers, and having the ability to programmatically add or remove them from a build is a lifesaver.  But because the API doesn't extend to the installer, I still have to do that last part by hand.  I'd really like to see an installer API that would allow me to add build specs to an installer on the fly.  It would be especially handy to have the ability to add other files, specify their location, and (if they are executables) set them to run them following the install. 

Thanks,

JasonP

4 Comments
oenk

Great Idea!

I was just looking for the installer API.....and wasn't able to find it Smiley Happy

oenk

What I forgot to mention:

maybe this article can help you...but only if just have to "run" the builder.

Jason_P

Thanks, oenk!  I'm actually already using the BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi.  But because my application uses a plugin architecture - which varies from customer to customer - I would like to be able to programmatically specify which plugins to include with each installer.  I could create multiple installer build specs, but frankly that would get unmanageable pretty quickly.

gabrielajzuniga1s

Your shortcut procedure tottaly managed and created by you. But another option is whats the main application building part. You wrote about something missing. But you can also finding whats the major errors by your intelligence. This type of solution I also heared from Fat-Brain .