From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Add " place in recycle bin" options to "Delete" primitive

The title says it all, for the reference this discussion on LAVA that explains how to do it using .NET :http://lavag.org/topic/9216-deletion-of-folders-and-files/

Please give us a native way to do that in LabVIEW.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

9 Comments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

I like the idea but I'm just pointing out that since it is a primative there would probably need to be a way to do it on OS X and Linux as well as Windows. The Windows implementation seems to be already done but it would be up to the developer of the feature to figure out the best way for the other OSes. Any ideas on ways to do this on OS X or Linux anyone?

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

Well that's one of the big issues with the solution posted above : it is Windows only ; and I expect NI to not only add this option but also to make it multiplatform.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Along with this, I still want the ability to delete absolutely even if the OS has a recycling bin. Temp files created during a run should be able to be deleted directly, not sitting in a recycling bin waiting for restoration.

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

Absolutely!

It is necessary to be able to do both.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

What about an entirely new prim called recycle? That way you don't have to touch the existing delete and regression test it.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

That would be just fine for me.. since I'm not the one in charge to deal with compatibility issue when down/up-converting from a Lv version to another :p.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Oh yes, down and up converting. I had not considered that and see how it could be difficult with a new prim.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

rolfk
Knight of NI

There is absolutely no way to do this in a consistent way under Linux. The recycle bin on there is a pure desktop feature and accordingly different for each desktop manager (if at all present). And to make matters worse it is not even standardized between versions of the same desktop manager. To support such a feature under Linux is a 200% sure way to cause support issues from people complaining that it doesn't work on their flavor of Linux. As such this feature is very difficult to support in LabVIEW, unless the developers would decide to simply nerf it for the Linux version of LabVIEW.

Mac is also complicated but not entirely impossible. The APIs to do Recycle bin operations have changed several times during the course of MacOSX and the old compatibility APIs in the old Carbon and later Core Foundation were all depreciated and eventually removed. Only way to do it nowadays is through the Cocoa API but to access that you are almost obligated to write Objective-C code. Since NI only has very limited OS X support for multiple versions it is however doable.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

I understand that, when i posted the idea back in 2011 I has never used Linux, I use it almost daily now.

So ok, a primitive isn't doable.

I have in my toolbox a VI to do that in Windows and a different one for the the Linux distro I use.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons