From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blawson

Add "frame" toggle to Visible Items of all controls.

One pain point of the Labview UI for me is eliminating the recessed border of controls - clusters and arrays in particular since there is no "system" version of these controls.  You have to activate the paintbrush tool, click on a 2-pixel wide line, then do the spacebar-and-transparent color dance.  It's something I do regularly, it's clumsy, and it's not at all intuitive for a new user.

But if you have a subpanel control and you go into the Visible Items section of the popup menu, you can toggle the frame as a visible item:

subpanel frame.jpg 

This should be on EVERYTHING!!!! 

-Barrett
CLD
2 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

A somewhat related idea is altenbach's Flat controls, indicators, and containers. If his idea were implemented, I think the essence of this idea would be addressed.

blawson
Active Participant
Oh nice, you're right, and his idea addresses the corollary of my idea which is to give the designer control of array and cluster padding.  I hope that a general overhaul of controls is in the works, it's a hassle to get controls looking how I want, and every passing year sees the shipping controls looking more and more dated.
-Barrett
CLD