From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Add "Explore" option to right-click menu for Path indicators and controls

I would love to be able to use any given path indicator or control as a starting point for file searches....

Imagine showing the path of a logfile on a FP and being able to simply right-click it and select "Browse" to open an explorer (or your OS equivalent) window at that path....

Shane

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I like this idea, but I think we might want to say "edit time only" since I'm not sure if every application out there wants that. Not sure... have to think about it. But kudos!

SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

Cool idea.

If you're interested in rolling your own (or using my pre-rolled code) you can add this to your VIs today with just a little code, here's how:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/ui/blog/2013/08/22/adding-to-the-shortcut-menus-at-runtime

Matthew_Kelton
Active Participant

I don't think you mean Browse, but Explore.  Browse typically means you get to select the file.  Explore (which you see in LabVIEW project in several places, for example), opens up windows explorer at that location.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Good point, Matthew.

Intaris: Do you mind if an administrator changes your idea title to "Explore"?

Intaris
Proven Zealot

The conflict between my use of "Browse" and the existing "Browse" usage for path controls occurred to me too late.  Change by all means.  "Explore" would definitely be better.

PalleM

Kudos...

A temporary solution until this gets implemented could be:

Explore button.png