LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
jon_mcbee

Add "Auto Dispose Reference" and "Wait Until Done" to VI Properties

Enable a Sub VI to launch as a daemon without having to open a reference to it using its path.  The VI Properties page would look like this:

21429iB830C4B88A795136

Wait until done would be checked by default, and auto dispose reference would be left false be default.  So instead of parsing the path to the VI on disk and using a method to run it:

21433i0CFC0F873277247C

I just set the correct properties in the VI Properties page and drop the subVI on the block diagram of the calling VI.

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Just drop a static VI reference and wire that to the Run VI method. Or pop up on a subVI node and select "Call Setup" option.

jon_mcbee
Active Participant

I didn't know about the "Call Setup" option, thanks for the tip!

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Are you essentially referring to this?

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

And to expand on Jack's comment, look at my second comment in that thread which does basically what you want - drop a VI in a CBR node and it will be run dynamically.

As AQ mentioned, the groundwork for this actually exists today, because if you change the load settings on a subVI, it is wrapped in a CBRN. However, it does NOT have the Wait Until Done flag set to F, which is the critical point, so AQ's suggestion does not work today.

Since this idea is close enough to another idea that has more votes, I am going to close this one as a duplicate and direct people there.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)