From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taddwoods

Add header to LabVIEW file to contain the version of LabVIEW.

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

LabVIEW opens the file in the version of LabVIEW that was most recently opened instead of the version the file was saved in.  Add a header to the file to allow LabVIEW to open the file in the correct version.  This will save a lot of time and lower frustration of accidently saving a file in the newer version.

8 Comments
bill__

Absolutely agree.

elset191
Active Participant

Like this or this?

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
taddwoods

elset191 both links you sent out just inform me of which version the VI was saved in last.  I want LabVIEW to be smart enough to just open the correct version of LabVIEW based on which version saved it last.  I don't want LabVIEW to open the file based on which version of LabVIEW which was last opened. 

elset191
Active Participant

I see.  Like this, then?

--
Tim Elsey
taddwoods

yes like that.

Mark Krueger (Medrad)

@taddwoods wrote:

LabVIEW opens the file in the version of LabVIEW that was most recently opened instead of the version the file was saved in.  Add a header to the file to allow LabVIEW to open the file in the correct version.  This will save a lot of time and lower frustration of accidently saving a file in the newer version.   "elset191 both links you sent out just inform me of which version the VI was saved in last.  I want LabVIEW to be smart enough to just open the correct version of LabVIEW based on which version saved it last.  I don't want LabVIEW to open the file based on which version of LabVIEW which was last opened. "

Totally agree.  We have multiple versions of Labview for new and legacy projects and is a frustration to have to figure out whic version of labview was used for the project, then open that then browse to the file, when I have the project folder open and I could just click on the VI.

* Alternative could be prompt giving the verion of labview the vi was saved with and asking whether to open with saved or latest (or some other) version of LV.   

elset191
Active Participant

Also see this new idea which expands the thought a bit.

--
Tim Elsey
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.