LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
euko

Add event to "event structure" directly from FP

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

If I have many objects on the FP and I want to add event to "event structure", it takes time to found and select object from “Event Sources” list. It will be nice to add new event directly from FP by right clicking on the object. This option will be available if event structure exists on BD

14 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Seems too specific to be useful. Again, we have a problem if we have more than one event structure or if we want to add to an existing event case instead of creating a new case.

(See also my comments here and here in discussions closely related to this idea).

euko

Thanks for comment.

let see how we do "link to" of property node if we have more then one pane...Right Click->Link to->Splitter-> Pane 1(or Pane 2).->Control., So why not RClick->Advanced->Event Structure 1-New Event (or Add to an existing event , or Edit.)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> So why not RClick->Advanced->Event Structure 1-New Event (or Add to an existing event , or Edit.)

Event structures don't have meaningful names.

euko

Is Label of Event Structure meaning name?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Is Label of Event Structure meaning name?

I don't consider it to be such. The overwhelming majority of such labels are never shown and they are the same default text on all of them. Even if we named them "thing 1" and "thing 2", there's still no mental correlation to where they are on the diagram.

euko

In second side, if I create 2 numeric controls (“numeric” and “numeric 2”) and don’t change their labels I successfully correlate (I don’t say that it is right way - I always change control’s labels, but for example)

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

That's the behavior of controls/indicators, not structures. We could change the behavior of structure labels, but you've got 26 years worth of structures out in the world that almost all have the same names.

euko

OK.

Maybe to enable this option if we have one event structure only.

altenbach
Knight of NI

On a side note, I often change and show structure labels for better documentation. Better than diagram comments and they are guaranteed to stay with the structure during cleanup and rearrangements. (e.g. "loop over temperatures", "loop over angles", "Main UI handler", "consumer loop", etc.) 🙂

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

An alternative implementation would be for the event dialog to bring the FP forward so that you can select the control directly on the FP. I'm not sure how this would work with the window management, since the event dialog is modal, but I'm assuming it can be handled somehow.