LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpursley8

Add a new palette to store user developed vi snippets

This would allow you to drop complex bits of code right on the block diagram just like you would a sub-vi.
Randall Pursley
4 Comments
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

You mean like Merge VIs for snippets?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
altenbach
Knight of NI

Since we are all more graphically oriented, it might be easier to just use windows explorer in "thumbnails" view and drag from there. Here we at least see how the code looks like. You could even make a local snppied website.

You can even use some photo management software to logically group all your snippets. For example you can drag directly from albums in picasa to your block diagram. 😄

(Just make sure you don't make adjustments (crop, contrast, red eye, etc.) or you'll end up with a plain image, without the snipped features....)

rpursley8
Active Participant

I didn't know about the Merge VIs function TonP mentioned, but after looking at it, it is a bit cumbersome, and once you set up a vi that way, that is the only way it works until you change it back.

I currently do have a directory where I keep my snippets and I leave it open to drag and drop into diagrams as altenbach mentioned, but it would be nice to have one or more palettes where I could keep the snippets and access them just like vis.  Obviously, not a must have type request, but using LabVIEW to manage them seems a better solution than using a third-party software package. 

Randall Pursley
TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

One idea, is it possible to drop a snippet from the project?

In that case you can create an auto-populating folder of the snippet folder.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!