LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G_Remy_-_IUT_Cachan

Add a Contextual Zoom to Labview

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi all,

This proposal is about adding a contextual zoom for Labview, but it is NOT a full zoom feature!

According to NI policy: Sub-vi have to be used instead of large vi. So the zoom features are not encourage.

However, Zoom out is already existing right now in Labview using the Navigation Window (Ctrl + Shift + N) in full screen

as explained her :

Visualization Window.jpg

So, why not transform this into a Contextual Zoom, it could be very efficient to navigate into a vi. as proposed here:

Contextual Zoom.jpg

Hope, you will like this proposal

Ghislain REMY
Associate Professor

IUT Cachan, France
http://www.iut-cachan.u-psud.fr
5 Comments
Wart

Would be a wonderful addition for people who get stuck refactoring someone else's existing (and ugly!) code.  I use the navigation window a lot for that reason, and would certainly take advantage of this.  The problem is that it encourages people to not write good code in the first place, so I have a hard time Kudo'ing.

TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

why do you not kudo the idea if you like it?

i think that could be usefull 😮

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Wart,

There is not now, has never been, and never will be a programming language under the sun that prevents bad programmers from writing bad code. I see a lot of discussions here along the lines of "it encourages new users to write bad code". It can be argued that clusters encourage new users to write bad code. Anything can be misused and will be. It is just part of the learning process. I see this idea as an improved navigation window or a shortcut to the navigation window. I don't think anyone would want to see the navigation window go away. There is old code out there where it comes in very handy.

This has me thinking of a new idea to post....

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Hitesh_Dhola

"it encourages new users to write bad code"

Lame Excuse... Smiley Very Happy

Kudos..

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.