LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

A Menu Entry to Clear Variant Data

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. You can right-click a variant control or indicator on the front panel and select Data Operations > Clear Data.

I recently noticed that some of my fitting model VIs were excessively large on disk. It turns out that during debugging long ago I made the current values the default so I can run it standalone. This also meant that the data variant control contained a gigantic kernel matrix.

For some reason it is not obvious how to clear the variant (in order to be able to make the new value default and make the VI small again).

For example for the nonlinear fitting model templates, the data is not shown by default, obscuring the fact that it is the culprit for the excessive size. This also makes clearing the variant tedious (right-click...show data...select all data...delete...right-click...uncheck show data...).

IDEA: I propose a new menu entry: "Right-click...data operations...Clear Data" or similar.

See picture. Thanks!

10 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Similar to the Empty Array right-click menu.  Makes sense to me.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, I've had to empty variants once in a while. Kudos.

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
DanyAllard
Active Participant

Good one. Kudos

LabVIEW ChampionArchitect
muks
Proven Zealot

(right-click...show data...select all data...delete...right-click...uncheck show data...).

kudos...Smiley Happy

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Alternate sequence of steps:

Drop new variant. Copy data from it. Paste data into existing variant. Make current value default. Delete new variant.

Still a pain but easier than the menus mess.

Kudos for the idea.

altenbach
Knight of NI

So, long after posting my idea here, Bob Price made a shortcut menu plugin (I missed that somehow) and this is what really should be in LabVIEW by default!

Untitled.png

Ben
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I agree!

As an itinerate wire-worker, I often find myself in front of a customer's machine inside of a barbed wire fence and no access to special code the internet or even a USB device.

If it is not built-in, it is of little use to me.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2020 and later. You can right-click a variant control or indicator on the front panel and select Data Operations > Clear Data.