LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

A Better "Find Missing Items" and "Find Items with No Callers" in Projects

Currently: When you "Find Missing Items" in a project, it thinks a few seconds (on a large project) and pops up a non-resizable window. You can double click on an item in the list, which closes the Missing Items list and it highlights the missing item in the project. You remove that item (or relink it) in the project, and then have to "Find Missing Items" again. Wait a few seconds, rinse, repeat...

Proposed:

1. When you double click on an item in the Missing Items list, do not close the list - leave it open, and gray out items that have been taken care of and are no longer "missing" (like the find dialog, when you delete a found item).

2. Allow the columns to be sorted by clicking on the header Name, Location in Project, or Path (this one holds a dear place in my heart)

3. Finally, allow the window to be resizable (a common request...).

(I have given the example for "Find Missing Items"... you can apply the same concepts to "Find Items with No Callers") 

Message Edited by mechelecengr on 08-26-2009 02:19 PM
14 Comments
cycleguy

Is there a way to export the list of missing items (to Excel or something)?  That would be a nice feature for collaboration, if it doesn't already exist.  In fact, I am looking at doing this right now and cannot figure out how to export the list of items...

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@cycleguy wrote:
Is there a way to export the list of missing items...

I don't think so, but I would use this feature!

Darren
Proven Zealot

I have filed CAR 512841 to add an 'Export' feature to the Project Find dialog in a future LabVIEW version.

Michael_Munroe
Active Participant

I wrote an add-on utility for LabVIEW 2015+ that will perform all the following:

1. Separate window showing all items in the project

2. Locate project items with no callers instantly

3. Persistent display of results in non-modal window

4. Sort results by Name, extension or VI path

5. Select All

6. Persistent display of selection

7. Opens all front panels or just all block diagrams

8. Select one or more items in the Project Explorer window

9. Export of all items for documentation

10. Delete selected items from project and disk including auto-populating folders and LLBs

It is a paid add-on, but there is a free version that performs steps 1 - 8.   www.propinsp.com

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.