LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillMe

"Break" VI when FPGA I/O input node is not connected

Writeable inputs to FPGA I/O nodes can be left disconnected without any warning (or broken VI indication) from the VI in which the I/O node is used. This can cause some vigorous head-scratching if the missing connection is not immediately obvious as in the screen shot below. For obvious reasons, FPGA controls have no connector assignment or "Recommended, Required, Optional" attribute. In that case, and to avoid playing "Where's Waldo" on the block diagram, I suggest making FPGA I/O node input connections implictly "required", and if not, the VI would be broken. This would be the same behaviour as seen with cluster nodes. 

FPGANode.png

4 Comments
GerardoG
I think this is a good idea. Just as a clarification, I believe you meant FPGA interface Read/Write Control Nodes as opposed to FPGA I/O Nodes - which already require their input terminals to be wired.
SuperDuperCooper

Similarly, I would like a warning when the index of 'index array' is not wired.

I guess it can be useful sometimes, but it's caught me out more than once when moving code around.

Applies to FPGA and vanilla LV.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Do NOT do that with the Index Array.  I very rarely ever wire up the index for that node.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RavensFan
Knight of NI

@SuperDuperCooper wrote:

Similarly, I would like a warning when the index of 'index array' is not wired.

I guess it can be useful sometimes, but it's caught me out more than once when moving code around.

Applies to FPGA and vanilla LV.

You surely must be joking to even make a statement like that!

Do you really want to have to wire up every index input from 0 to N whenever you want to break apart the elements of an array?