LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terry_ALE

More RAM, bigger FPGAs

The latest Virtex-7 FPGAs have something like 20 times the computing power of the biggest FPGA supported by LabVIEW FPGA; it would be cool to be able to get those on a FlexRIO card.

Other companies make FPGA boards with up to 32 GB of RAM, the biggest FlexRIO has 512 MB; would be cool to have FlexRIO cards with RAM in the gigabytes.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
4 Comments
dwisti

I've been asking for bigger FPGAs since they came out.  If I remember correclty, bigger FPGAs = more heat. I can only kudos this idea if you add in PCIe support. I dont use FlexRIO or PXI.

Terry_ALE
Active Participant

Funny you should mention PCIe, because our ideal setup is a FlexRIO card on PCIe but I guess the mechanical aspects become an issue.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
ErnieH
Active Participant

Bigger for cRIO and SBRIO also.

xl600
Active Participant

I need to capture video frames at rates that completely blow away the 512MB in a few seconds from 10 tap cameralink interfaces.  The FlexRIO should have a DIMM slot or some other expandable BIG memory option.  I'm also shackled with the limit of 8GB on my PXIe-8135 (With removable hard drive) controller.  Best case with half that used and the 512BM DRAM is only about 6 seconds of full-resolution frames at 100Hz acros sboth my cameras.  I would really like to get more (Lots and lots more!).