LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk

Bring FPGA over to 64 bit LabVIEW

Vision is available under LabVIEW 64 bit and this makes sense since vision can generate very large amounts of data.  I think now is the time to bring FPGA over to LabVIEW 64 bit as well.  With FPGA systems you can also generate very large data sets.  Also with cards like the PCIE 1473R, you have a VISION requiring card that generates lots of data, but it requires FPGA, so you can only use it in LabVIEW 32 bit.  This is not a good thing.  It has been 5 years since LabVIEW 64 bit has been released  it is time to finish moving the addons over to 64 bit.

5 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant

Since the end of 2012 I'm only buying PC with 8 GB of RAM or more with a 64 bit OS. It's time to LV 64 take the lead! Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
crossrulz
Knight of NI

The compiler might be stuck in 32-bit.  But that's a Xilinx issue.  That could be what is holding this effort up.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Kirk

Even if the compiler is stuck at 32 bit, that should not hold up LabVIEW FPGA working in 64 bit.  The compiler is a seperate program and can run under 32 bit, but LabVIEW should be able to run at 64 bit and download the FPGA code and run it under 64 bit.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Oh, I fully agree.  I'm just trying to understand NI's side.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Dragis
Active Participant

Putting on my NI hat, this is certainly something NI is aware of and has been investigating for some time. Like others mentioned, LabVIEW relies on many third-party components which themselves may not have 64-bit couterparts, etc. Moving to 64-bit is a large endeavor, but it will happen eventually. When is eventually, well that's another story : )