LabVIEW FPGA Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerdW

Allow access to multiple IO registers at once like on certain DIO modules

I would like to have a feature to access several IO pin ranges to avoid programming this for a 9205 cRIO module:

check.png

With DIO modules like NI9403 you can program this:

check2.png

Why not provide Mod2/AI0:31 in the above image? (With subranges like AI0:7, AI8:15,… similar to DIO module?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
6 Comments
r_good

How would you propose the 16-24 bit values on most AI modules be packed and presented to the node?  DIO modules are easy to perform what you are saying since you can pack the bits easily for reading and writing but it would not be as intuitive with AI.  It is possible but is it practical or necessary?

GerdW
Knight of NI

Hi A_Tish,

when I use several AI inputs as depicted above I need them as an array. I also tend to connect sensors in groups of 8 to an AI module: 8 channels to read voltage signals, 8 more channels connected to shunts to read current signals.

I would like to have arrays, similar as for the DIO module, like AI0:7, AI0:15, AI16:23…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
r_good

Hey Gerd,

THat actually sounds very practical.  I am in the same boat, but if it simply allowed us a fixed array[8] (or 16,32,etc) to input the values the BD would clean up nicely and it could still be easy to debug.

Just wanted to get the ideas going, but I agree the higher channel count modules (or any for that matter) are cumbersome and an array could work well.  How the background optimaized and handled it is out of my hands but it is a start.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

A_Tish, if you like the idea, be sure to give it a Kudos.  That is the metric that NI uses when looking at the Idea Exchange for features to implement.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
r_good

Sorry about that,

My browswer did not update my kudos.  I made sure it is in there now.

Thanks for heads up!

Jorn_Deruyck

There's actually a method node for the NI-9205 that should be a bit more efficient for the use case you've shown in your diagram, see below snippet. (the index counter is 5 bit and set to overflow at the increment node)

The only drawback is that it still can't be run from within a SCTL loop 😞

NI-9205 Channel ReadNI-9205 Channel Read