From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial and ethernet port in FPGA

hi

im new in labview fpga

i want to know if i can Access to serial and ethernet port in FPGA for cRIO-9068 for exemple  IP camera

thanks for help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,844 Views)

The built-in ports on the controller are only directly accessed from the processor.  You can use LV mechanisms (DMA, etc) to stream data from RT to FPGA if you want to perform computation off-load on the FPGA. NI has FPGA algorithms for vision processing and I think has some examples of streaming vision data to the FPGA from RT.  NI also has serial modules for cRIO.  The ports on these modules can be accessed directly from either RT or FPGA 

I would think general Enet would be a challenge on FPGA if using TCP.  A TCP stack is fairly complex and is much better suited to a processor than an FPGA, not to mention all the other protocols running for DHCP, etc.  (Maybe if you were on a dedicated link and only using layer 2 or UDP it might be reasonable?)  However once you have a data stream the FPGA could be a good processing engine for some data streams. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,077 Views)

thanks

but i want to acquire image with IP camera So it is possible or no ?? and if possible how ??

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,077 Views)

* Connect to camera by the cRIO controller Ethernet - > Grab Image . Transfer Image by FIFO to FPGA - > Process.

Floris Reinders
Senior Project Engineer / CLA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,077 Views)

thanks

but i want use fpga to acquire image directly not like this ?

and how i use fpga with ethernet input output directly without RT ??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,077 Views)

The Enet port is only exposed to RT.  You can not access directly from FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,077 Views)

thanks

So what type is access directly from FPGA. usb or what ??

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,077 Views)

* as stated in earlier message. Ethernet is possible by a custom Ethernet Interface connected to the FGPA IO. But to create a low level FPGA Ethernet Interface + the Camera IP interface will take a lot of time to combine ( from internet ) and make it work, also costs a lot of the FPGA size. Maybe search for an existing solution ?

* Why are you limited on grabbing the Images by FPGA directly instead of the cRIO RT ?

Floris Reinders
Senior Project Engineer / CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,077 Views)

thanks again

I intern

my end of study project requires that I use fpga

i have smart compteur with ethernet  and ip camera so i want to communicate between ethernet i/o and fpga

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,077 Views)