From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPARTAN-3E XUP unable to detect commnication cable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All

I have downloaded the code for

LabVIEW FPGA with the Xilinx SPARTAN-3E XUP Starter Kit

I am using a zilinx Spartan 3e that I have successfully programmed and enbeded code in VHDL on a different computer so I know that the board is correctly working.

When I go to the control panel and hardware and sound / devuces and Printers I can see Unspecified xilinx

I have not installed any software from xilinx?  I did not think that this was necessary unless I was going to code in VHDL?

Do I have to install ICE ore any xilinx software?

Thanks all

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(12,085 Views)

What version (including 32- vs. 64- bit) of Windows are you running?  Currently, the LabVIEW FPGA support for the Spartan 3E XUP board does not support 64-bit Windows

Message 2 of 12
(12,083 Views)

Sob, Sob

I have got a Toshiba portage R700

I5 Intel

8GIGs of Ram

but it is the 64 bit operating system.

I do have some older computers without the fpga module but when I dont' think that the download gave me the tool box needed to program.  I think that I have an xp the is 32 bit my vista I think is also 64.

I will try to down load the software to my xp computer.

If thatn does not work NI does produce a NI Embedded Software Evaluation Kit‏ will that work on a 64 bit window computer?

If that will not work which is the cheapest way to use Labview to program an FPGA?  Does NI have any FPGA modules that one can commincation via USB?  IF so what is the number?   If one does not exist than should I go the route of compactRIO?

Thanks for your incredible fast response.  Also how do I give you some kudos? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(12,076 Views)

One approach that you could take is to install LabVIEW + FPGA in a 32-bit virtual machine and pass the device to the VM, but the cRIO option would also certainly work.

All USB-based FPGA devices currently supported by LabVIEW FPGA require a 32-bit OS

Message 4 of 12
(12,072 Views)

I down loaded the software on my 32 bit computers

Method 1

I created an empty project and right click ont computer which is in the empty  project and then clicked on new

But there is no Targets and devices listing. 

I can not go on without seting up the target

Method 2

I brought up one of the examples

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\examples\Spartan-3E\LEDs

On the fpga target there is a warning sign which states

Unsupported Item the plug in for the selected item is not installed on your system  or the plugin has an expired license Please contact NI

Why would the plugin not be working?

Thank you for your answers.  I would really like to get this spartan 3e working with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(12,064 Views)

On the 32-bit OS, you must install LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA, and the Spartan 3E XUP Support package for LabVIEW FPGA before the target can be added to a project (and you must be able to do this step before you can sucessfully open an exapmle project)

I hope this helps

Message 6 of 12
(12,059 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author blockmarc

I had missed your earlier non-technical question: to give Kudos, click on the yellow icon to the left of the post that has a plus sign and a star

Message 7 of 12
(12,053 Views)

Ref  to  discussion forum  on above topic ,

My problem is that after installation of labview 2011 and FPGA 2011  , I can not install the Spartan 3E driver  due to missing of  labview 2011 SPI FPGA softwar , I am searching this software but until not success , help in this regard require

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(11,641 Views)

You must have LV 2011sp1 and LVFPGA 2011sp1 installed to use the installer from the location detailed here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/949B93D25041EB2F86257626004293FD

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(11,626 Views)

i can't doawload driver for spartan 3E 

i need helpul everyone!

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(8,453 Views)