From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming the LM3S8962 Evaluation Board without a ULINK2

Solved!
Go to solution

It is possible to programme the LMS8962 Evaluation Board without the ULINK2 adaptor. This way, instead of a USB cable plus ULINK2 adaptor, only a USB cable is required.

On the project icon, right click New then Targets and Devices... Select "EK-LM3S8962 USB" rather than ""EK-LM3S8962" and you can use just the USB cable for downloading and debugging. By debugging I mean you can have debugging on and see indicators and modify control values.

I know what I gain ... namely, one less cable to worry about. My question is, what do I loose? It appears I can do everything I want with just the one simple USB cable rather than the cumbersome ULINK2 plus its connector.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,810 Views)

To prevent duplication for any searchers, the answer is posted here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Embedded/Is-it-possible-to-program-LM3S8962-without-ULINK2-JTAG/m-p/...

Regards,

Matt M.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,807 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The referenced posts talks about how to programme without a ULINK2. (I even have the last entry in the referenced post Smiley Wink)

My question is different, hence the new post. My quesiton is not how to do it, but why use the ULINK2 at all? That is, "I know what I gain ... namely, one less cable to worry about. My question is, what do I loose? It appears I can do everything I want with just the one simple USB cable rather than the cumbersome ULINK2 plus its connector."

In summary, not using the ULINK2 is simpler (one less USB port, one less device, one less cable), so why use it/what do I loose? That is, is there a downside in not using the ULINK2?

Regards,

Vito

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,801 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vitoi

Vito,

You stated most of the main reasons why you would want to use a usb cable over a ULINK2.  JTAG cables are very useful in early development because there might not be routing set up on a development board to allow USB, or the USB might be required to communicate with some peripheral of the system.  

If you do not need the USB slot, and your development board has the connection for USB there is no reason for you not to use it.

Regards,

Matt M.

EDIT: Swapped USB and ULINK2 by mistake.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(6,797 Views)

if you can program the ARM LM3S8962 USB cable, download the program after the port is still enabled communication, I have done several tests and updates to the program while using the same COM port, you can check the following link 

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-29378

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,320 Views)