LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop application on one system but use application on another system with different and required resorces

The intended target is a single board computer.  The LabView program is being developed on a desktop computer.  The desktop does not have the hardware resorces required for the application that is to be used on the single board computer.  What is the process of developing the application?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,294 Views)

Hey Mike,

Can you give us a little more information. Is the single board computer an NI product? What are the differences in resources?

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,276 Views)

The target system is an Advantech PCM-9310-CQ-S6A1E equipped with an Intel Celeron N3160 CPU.  The internal resource I/O features are 2 x seral RS-232, 2 x RS-232/422/485 with auto flow control, 2 x USB 2.0, I2C shared with SMBus and an 8-bit GPIO.  The resources required are the 2 x USB ports, I2C port and the 8-bit GPIO port.

With Linux using C, C++ direct I/O functions can be used to access various ports using the system memory map.  The Windows operating system prevents direct access to hardware, at least my attempts to do so have not been successful.

Using LabView for Linux I have used VISA to access ports successfully but in Windows I have had complication.   I know LabView can use virtual instruments but this is system hardware not external instrumentation.  My knowledge is limited in this area, I am using LabView 2015 and I have inatalled VISA 15.5.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,258 Views)

Hi Mike,

Are you trying to access the ports from your development computer while you are writing the code or are you writing the code on the development computer and will then deploy the code to the single board?

Are you developing on Windows or Linux and what OS will be running on the single board computer?

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,236 Views)

Hello,

I am developing the code on my development computer then deploying the software to the target.  I want to use the debug mode so that I can setp through the program to debug it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,225 Views)

What OS is the development computer running and what OS is the single board computer running? It sounded like from an earlier post that your development computer was running Windows and your single board computer was running Linux, but in order to create Linux executables you need a Linux Development system.

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,210 Views)

Hello Matt,

On my development system I am using "Windows 10 Pro" and on the Advantech PCM-9310 target I am concidering "Windows 10 Embedded" or "Windows 10 IoT" depending on the support of LabView 2015, your suggestion?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,202 Views)

Hello, Is it possable to used SUSE 13.2 on the target system and then by using "WINE" to install the LabView RTE and application progranm that was developed on the development computer to have full usability of the LabView application program including full access to the targets I/O and internet?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,177 Views)

Hello,

I am not aware of support for Windows 10 embedded within LabVIEW. I do believe that LabVIEW is supported in SUSE but I'm not sure about LAbVIEW Real-Time, I'm looking into that.

My recommendation is actually to call in to one of our sales engineers because they can work with you to find the best software for you application. You can get in contact with them below:

http://www.ni.com/contact-us/

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,163 Views)

I am not aware of support for Windows 10 embedded within LabVIEW. I do believe that LabVIEW is supported in SUSE but I'm not sure about LAbVIEW Real-Time, I'm looking into that.

My recommendation is actually to call in to one of our sales engineers because they can work with you to find the best software for you application. You can get in contact with them below:

http://www.ni.com/contact-us/

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,163 Views)