LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx Virtual Channels

Solved!
Go to solution

Hoping someone here can help me with a (hopefully) easy question. In the "Using CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx API" tutorial the instructions are written as if you have a connected device. However in my case I am trying to develop code while waiting for the device to be delivered (NI-9045 if it matters). So when attempting to start programming my modules set to run on the FPGA are easily accessed through the FPGA I/O Node however if I attempt to pull up some virtual channels on my modules that are running Real-Time DAQmx API nothing populates the channel list on the "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel" VI . Which as I can assume is because its not connected. My question is can I easily select channels similar to an FPGA I/O Node on the Real-Time or will I be forced to use something like the DAQmx System and DAQmx Device property nodes to get some programming done without a connected device?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,026 Views)

Hi ddkarolczak,

I think I understand the question. You should be able to simulate the device in your LabVIEW project. See Simulate FPGA Targets Using the Project Explorer with LabVIEW.

Are you having a problem with the DAQmx API running on real-time? Can you add the DAQmx modules successfully? Are you able to post a screenshot of what you're trying to do, or the VI, itself?

Thanks,

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,010 Views)

Hi Timothy,

The FPGA modules are working the way I expected. Allowing me to wire data to the modules for low speed and high speed H-Bridge control on a motor without modules or the cRIO (LS H-Bridge Control Code.png). My problem comes in when I try to create a channel on my voltage modules that I believe I have set up correctly in the project window (Project View Module Settings.png). Even though they are set up for DAQmx on the Real-Time, nothing populates my physical channels list on the "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel" VI. I have a comparison of what my VI pops up and what the tutorial shows. The part I have underlined is the reason why I'm assuming its not populating anything since I have no devices yet (My Create Channel vs. Tutorial's Create Channel Instructions.png). 

I didn't see a way to simulate the modules set to run on DAQmx Real Time. So without that I haven't even began trying to run anything.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. Right now I only have my FPGA completed and haven't begun work on my RT DAQ portion.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,998 Views)

How did you set up your daqmx simulated devices?

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,986 Views)

Dane,

I haven't really set up any simulated devices. The only thing I've done so far is add the four C series modules underneath the Real Time DAQmx in the project. When I right click any of the modules it doesn't give me the option to run as a simulated device.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,973 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ddkarolczak

If you are trying to program in your daqmx channels without physical hardware I don't believe there is a way to simulate them on the cRIO. 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(5,941 Views)

Dane,

Thanks for your replies. I did as much digging and experimenting as I could and came up with the same answer.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,889 Views)