From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx Virtual Channels

Solved!
Go to solution

Hoping someone here can help me with a (hopefully) easy question. In the "Using CompactRIO with the NI-DAQmx API" tutorial the instructions are written as if you have a connected device. However in my case I am trying to develop code while waiting for the device to be delivered (NI-9045 if it matters). So when attempting to start programming my modules set to run on the FPGA are easily accessed through the FPGA I/O Node however if I attempt to pull up some virtual channels on my modules that are running Real-Time DAQmx API nothing populates the channel list on the "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel" VI . Which as I can assume is because its not connected. My question is can I easily select channels similar to an FPGA I/O Node on the Real-Time or will I be forced to use something like the DAQmx System and DAQmx Device property nodes to get some programming done without a connected device?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,078 Views)

Hi ddkarolczak,

I think I understand the question. You should be able to simulate the device in your LabVIEW project. See Simulate FPGA Targets Using the Project Explorer with LabVIEW.

Are you having a problem with the DAQmx API running on real-time? Can you add the DAQmx modules successfully? Are you able to post a screenshot of what you're trying to do, or the VI, itself?

Thanks,

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,062 Views)

Hi Timothy,

The FPGA modules are working the way I expected. Allowing me to wire data to the modules for low speed and high speed H-Bridge control on a motor without modules or the cRIO (LS H-Bridge Control Code.png). My problem comes in when I try to create a channel on my voltage modules that I believe I have set up correctly in the project window (Project View Module Settings.png). Even though they are set up for DAQmx on the Real-Time, nothing populates my physical channels list on the "DAQmx Create Virtual Channel" VI. I have a comparison of what my VI pops up and what the tutorial shows. The part I have underlined is the reason why I'm assuming its not populating anything since I have no devices yet (My Create Channel vs. Tutorial's Create Channel Instructions.png). 

I didn't see a way to simulate the modules set to run on DAQmx Real Time. So without that I haven't even began trying to run anything.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. Right now I only have my FPGA completed and haven't begun work on my RT DAQ portion.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,050 Views)

How did you set up your daqmx simulated devices?

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,038 Views)

Dane,

I haven't really set up any simulated devices. The only thing I've done so far is add the four C series modules underneath the Real Time DAQmx in the project. When I right click any of the modules it doesn't give me the option to run as a simulated device.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,025 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ddkarolczak

If you are trying to program in your daqmx channels without physical hardware I don't believe there is a way to simulate them on the cRIO. 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 7
(5,993 Views)

Dane,

Thanks for your replies. I did as much digging and experimenting as I could and came up with the same answer.

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,941 Views)