From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do YOU store YOUR LabVIEW test vis? [copied from WNY LUG from KParfitt]

Someone from the Western NY LUG posted a great discussion on file management/storage and I thought it was well suited for this group.  I look forward to hearing how others manage their different test VIs...

[from KParfitt on Western NY LUG]:

Hello,

I'd like to know where in the directory structure people put their LabVIEW test programs.  For example, at my company, we have a large reuse library that resides at C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW x.x\user.lib\.  We also store LabVIEW vis that are specific to a unit-under-test in a "programs" folder within user.lib.  This works fine, but causes an issue with the way we archive and control our source code.  If the source code database directory structure matches the PC hard drive, then every test station gets everyone's uut-specific test code when they get the latest from the database.  Even if it is not needed.  If the uut-specific code is in another location in the database (not under user.lib) then the user has to know to put it in the programs folder.

Sorry if this is hard to follow!    Anyway, where do YOU put them??

Scott Rogers
Sr. DSM
Western NY
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,757 Views)

KParfitt and Scott,

I do most of my large projects still in 7.1.1 and I am a single develloper here. So this is a bit special situation. Anyway, I put my customer projects in dedicated pathes on the local HD and synchronize at each logout with a related server path, that is backup'd. Its kind of C:\getemed\projectname\  and I:\_path_\projectname\. I use Subversion for versioning and synchronize whenever a milestone (sometimes even when a 'yard-stone' is reached; e.g. when a component seems to be ready).

This project folder contains also all test VIs that had been created during devellopment and have a name prefix of 'Test_' and the same name as the tested component (either the VI or the bname of the functional component (e.g. AcquireECGdata.vi and Test_AcquireECGdata.vi)

Up to now I do not use any of NIs devellopment management tools.

Greetings from Germany!

--

Uwe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,001 Views)

I use a modular architecture for my applications. Say we've got a main test called "XCoupling" which does some cross coupling measurements and uses camera to do it. We also want to show a console to see what commands are being sent. The code that controls a camera is considered as a sub-program so we put it into "Module" folder, similarly with console. Every main program and module has got it's own subVis and typedefs. The code that is common for all modules and/or main programs, is stored in folders called "Helpers"

This is the way I organise my files :

L:\Dev\LabVIEW\XcouplingTest
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\XcouplingTest\subVi
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\XcouplingTest\subVi\typedef

L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Camera 1.02
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Camera 1.02\subVi
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Camera 1.02\support
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Camera 1.02\typedef
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Console
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Console\RichText Installer
L:\Dev\LabVIEW\Modules\Console\RichText Installer\data