From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on typedef triggering re-compilation in LV2012

Solved!
Go to solution

AristosQueue wrote:

B) If you have a project that demonstrates particularly egregious typedef behavior, particularly if that behavior is still around in LV 2013, R&D would be interested in taking a look.

NI Applications Engineering Department now has a sample project which they've confirmed shows the "Type Definition modified" behavior, it is attached to CAR #451107.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 44
(1,280 Views)

Thanks, kegghead.

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 44
(1,280 Views)

I'm also glad to report that with current 2014 beta, the use case I posted in the original post (add a field to a typedef'd cluster, or change fields order) doesn't trigger changing the VIs that use the typedef.

Deleting a field or changing name/representation stilll triggers VI change, which I can understand.

Great news for me! Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 44
(1,280 Views)

So this explains that odd saving of unchanged code when going between computers.  For some reason I have been trying to get away from using strict typedefs lately -- now I know why.

One thing I do after changing a typedef, when I want them all to look the same, is make it a strict typedef, apply changes, and then go back to a regular typedef, apply changes, and save all.  Yes, it takes a few more steps, but (hopefully) eliminates the strict typedef problem.

Cat

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 44
(1,280 Views)