LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit Test Framework Toolkit Users: We want your feedback!

Daklu wrote:

I thought VIT was more suitable for OOP developers while UTF seems more aligned with LV procedural programming.

I'm not sure I agree with that - we've been able to acheive both with NI's UTF pretty easily.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Christopher Relf wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with that - we've been able to acheive both with NI's UTF pretty easily.

Example code and or white paper?    It's been a couple years sinice I've played around with UTF and my skills have improved, so perhaps I wouldn't find it so cumbersome this time around.  Still, It'd be nice to avoid having to reinvent the wheel if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Daklu wrote:

Christopher Relf wrote:

Example code and or white paper? 

Sorry Daklu, no can do

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Sorry Daklu, no can do

What about one of your lackys minions cabin boys coworkers like asbo or hoover?  Or maybe just a couple paragraphs describing what you do?

No?  Booooo! 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Daklu wrote:

Sorry Daklu, no can do

What about one of your lackys minions cabin boys coworkers like asbo or hoover?  Or maybe just a couple paragraphs describing what you do?

It's not that I don't have time, it's that it's something I'd consider company IP, and I'm not comfortable sharing such.

PS: Cabin boys?! ;D

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 57
(2,652 Views)

We're starting a new development effort, and it seemed like a good opportunity to try out the UTF and see what it could do, how it might integrate into our workflow, and what kind of cool stuff was possible with it.

It seems pretty solid for basic input/prcoessing/output testing. It'd be neat if there was a 'results vector' to go along with the input vector - that is, a table of expected results that would map one to one to the provided table of inputs.

Is there any way to customize/clean up the reports it generates? There seem to be some typos in the header information - like it reports an 'Operation System,' and there's one place that has a 'Targert IP'.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Daklu, UTF also allows you to create a "user-defined test" that gives you a blank slate VI to completely define how your test is run and validated.  This, to me, is similar to what JKI's tool gives you.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 57
(2,652 Views)

mc_vibraphone,

For customizing the report, to write a program to parse  "ATML" report which is in XML format, by using a XML parser, then combine the data in the way that you want.

If you have specific requirement in "customizing", could you let us know more detail such as how you want to combine the data (or what kind of flexibility you need)so we can analyze further to see if we can have the feature in the future release.

Thanks

HaiJun

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 57
(2,652 Views)

reidl wrote:

Daklu, UTF also allows you to create a "user-defined test" that gives you a blank slate VI to completely define how your test is run and validated.  This, to me, is similar to what JKI's tool gives you.

Yes, but wrapping a unit test for OOP code in a vi for UTF seemed like an extra step.  Granted, I have spent far more time with VIT than I have with UTF, and perhaps I just didn't discover good workflows with UTF.  In fact, Chris Relf's comment indicates that is likely the case.

I'd be willing to give the UTF another try if someone can confirm the bug in 2009 causing LV to crash when trying to remove a unit test from the project has been fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 57
(2,652 Views)

Daklu,

> I completely agree with you that learning how to develop good unit tests is difficult and time consuming.

OK, agree.

> I don't think it's realistic to expect NI to have all the answers on how to go about developing unit tests for the UTF.

Agree as well.

BUT: One or the other example for non-trivial usage of any given tool would be considered VERY helpfull, especially when those examples are well documented. I'm not expecting explanation on WHY some test vectors where choosen, but why a special sequence of tests was chosen and what - if any - special comparisions or test criteria have been chosen.

This would help to understand what the devellopers had in mind how to use the tool. So one would work _with_ the tool and not _against_ it.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 57
(2,652 Views)