From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusable Options Dialog Based on Actor Framework

Release Notes

Application developed by Elijah Kerry, CLA – National Instruments

Latest version: 1.0.2.17 (Alpha)

This is the third public release of this library. It is used in a forthcoming version of the Measurement Utility, but valuable enough to warrant sharing it as a separate reusable library.

2013-11-11_11-11-43.png

Overview

This library provides a reusable framework for reading parameters from a configuration file on disk, displaying them to a user and returning them to a calling framework.  A developer who wants to inherit this dialog needs to create a child class of the Configuration Dialog Actor and implement the following:

- Define the configuration parameters in the private data control of the child class

- Extend the store and read methods (by inheriting them) to define how these parameters are loaded and stored to disk

- Override the 'Store Static VI References Methods' to add static references to the VIs that should be displayed in the SubPanel

- Implement the SubPanel displays using the template in the example (shown below):

Template for Subpanel.png

Future Features

Installs the template for a SubPanel item into the 'Create Projects' dialog

This Package depends on these other packages:

OpenG Application Control Library >= 4.1.0.7

OpenG File Library >= 4.0.1.22

OpenG Variant Configuration File Library >= 4.0.0.5

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
Comments
NJKirchner
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

FYI, the dialog needs some work if you're working on a non win7 default display setup

http://content.screencast.com/users/NJKirchner/folders/Jing/media/49f7c16d-658a-4772-8021-58e8fb40e7c3/2013-11-11_0958.png

Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Not to mention the ability to set the title!  Oops...

What specific changes would you want to see for your display settings?  Less margin at the top?

Elijah Kerry
Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

How's this?  (more like the LabVIEW dialog)

2013-11-11_11-05-55.png

Elijah Kerry
NJKirchner
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Better

Is it resizeable?

Elijah_K
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Of course it is!

Elijah Kerry
jennapark86
on

Hi Elijah, is localization possible with this approach? like in... http://www.ni.com/example/31257/en/ (LCE)

St3ve
on

Any chance of a version of this that I can open in LV2012?

MrZiii
on

Any chance of a version of this that I can open in LV2012? [2]

Tried to convert from a labview 2013.

It showed an error pointing that two VIs had objects that is not present in previous version:

Display new Configuration Subpanel.vi

Construct Configuration Object

I am trying to see if i can work around but if anyone already have it working for LV2012 and can share it I'll be grateful

MrZiii
on

It says: "Missing oject. The object Attachment does not exist in the previous version"

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

Don't worry about that. The "attachment" is just the arrow connecting a comment to the thing it is commenting about. It is a comment change only.

MrZiii
on

Thanks.

It' working now. I thought that the problems i was having came from the missing object, but i had a problem in my code. If have any other issue I'll post here, but it seems to be smoothly.

Elijah_K thanks for sharing this code!

danielb85
on

Hey Elijah_K, this is a very useful piece of code.

I usually have the problem of wanting to configure multiple things at a time, and which of these things are available for configuration is sometimes determined at runtime. Have you considered setting the Config Actor up in a way to support Nested Actors in such a way that the root Config Actor would handle the UI and the nested actors only supply the static subpanel VI refs and the storage routines?

I might look into it at some point.

Contributors