LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Multiple LabVIEW Versions (copied from neohio group - jaredforshey)

Christopher Relf wrote:

Oh, I agree completely - I wanted to know in case the benefits suggested that I might start using Linux as a host OS, not to start a Linux vs Windows agrument.  That said, I think I'll stick with Windows 7 as my host OS for now, as I use the same host as my standard working PC, and the only thing on your list that would have any impact on my development would be PCI passthrough, and even that's not a big deal for me.  I don't have any evangelical ties to a particular OS, I'm just interested in using something that helps me get my work done in the most efficient way with the highest value, and that's Windows 7 for the most part.

OK, so it seems we are talking about totally different setups... You use VMs on your desktop workstation. My setup uses my Linux server to host these VMs. I use a separate PC (workstation) with either Win7 or Ubuntu to remote to the VMs with RDP.

Of course, if you host your VMs on your desktop workstation, it won't be too comfortable to use a Linux server OS (without any GUI) to host these machines.

Christopher Relf wrote:

EIther you don't use a lot of LV versions and OSes, or you've got a *lot* of VM templates

Yes for both! I have templates only for the mostly used LV versions. Combined with Windows versions that's about 30 image templates. If I have to use something else, it won't hurt much to install the required SW/driver using the local copy of the installers.

Christopher Relf wrote:

I'd agree iff you don't ever expect to access the internet with the VMs, otherwise you need a lot of those updates to keep your VM secure, and not used as a bot. Also, there are often updates to drivers and subsystems that work I do with LabVEIW relies on (eg: .net).  Either way, whether you choose to apply Windows updates is up to you, although I'd suggest having your VM at the same level as the machine you're eventually going to deploy to, otherwise you could be in all sorts of surprises ("but it worked fine on my stripped-down, no updates installed, no virus scanner, old drivers VM, I don't know why it doesn't work on the latest-virus definition, up to date delployment PC!").

You are right! I use .NET and similar staff (like ActiveX) only in very rare cases, that's why I don't have to bother with these updates.

In my setup I also run these VMs within a separate environment from my other network segments (I use many VLANs with a lot of NAT and Filter router entries). I also like to give internet access to machines where it is really needed. (But this is rather some kind of paranoia ). Of course on final deployments I have to leave automatic updates (at least download of updates) enabled...

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 22
(855 Views)

Where also using virtualbox and VMWar here for virtualization.

How do you guys handle the license?

We have a pool of 15 LabVIEW and Vision license, but they are user and PCbased.

So each VM needs an entry in the license manager...

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 22
(855 Views)